Sunday, August 2, 2009

When I Grow Up

Meet Jesse, my almost 10 yr old step-son.
Jesse has Asperger's Syndrome so life with Jesse can be very challenging. He can be sweet or he can be so frustrating I want to tear my hair out. He loves computer games and would play them all day if we let him. Just check out the look on his face.
The way his mind works fascinates me. I would love to know the thought process he goes through to get to the conclusions he does. Everything is so definite with him. There's no black and white.


The other day we had a conversation that went like this.


Jesse (quite concerned): Kylie, I don't know what I want to be when I grow up


Me: Well Jesse, your not 10 yet so that's OK, you have plenty of time to decide


Jesse (pauses to think for a minute): Are paleontologists the one's that dig up dinosaur bones?
Me: Yes
Jesse: A paleontologist then. Or an archaeologist. That's what I'll be.
And he walks away satisfied. One more decision made. One less worry.
If only everything was so easy.
Love Kylie

No comments:

Post a Comment